Sunday 16 June 2013

Our biggest food outgoing is.....

I've been asked many times recently about what is our biggest food expenditure? 

Well for us it's fresh fruit and vegetables. I snack on lots of fruit and try and incorporate at least '5 a day' into meals for the three of us. We're extremely lucky that bubba enjoys his fruit and veg (with the exception of broccoli). We could spend up to £15-£20 or more a week, before our budget was bought into line. 

Now I try not to spend more than £10 a week. It's hard, whilst I'm at home I try and portion fruit out or I might eat the whole bowl! 
So how do I do it? 
* I look at the 'whoopsies' section first to see if there's anything there on my list/or could substitute something on the list. 
* markets are generally cheaper, especially towards the end of the day. 
* look for offers before shopping
* when meal planning I might write 'two veg' so that I can be flexible to what is available. 
* attempt to eat local/products that are in season. Sometimes tricky as so many things are available all year round now. 
* frozen or tinned veg are a great alternative to fresh ones. Often work out cheaper and obviously don't spoil if plans change last minute. 
* when buying reduced items, more with vegetables I prepare them (occasionally steam slightly) and portion them up and freeze for convenience. 
* we eat a lot of what i call 'staple veg' which are the 'cheaper' veg such a carrots. I can buy 1kilo for 69p, others such as swede often are good value. 

No comments:

Post a Comment